Senior Geologist with more than eight years of experience in geothermal resource exploration and evaluation, wellsite geology and 3-D modeling. Bastien has completed geothermal resource assessments on numerous geothermal projects, mostly located in the United States and in Iceland but also on some projects in the Caribbean, in Central and South America and in Turkey. Bastien has been a wellsite geologist on about twenty deep geothermal wells, including the Iceland Deep Drilling Project IDDP-2 in 2016-2017 and some of the deepest geothermal wells of the world in the Geysers field in California. He also has extensive 3D modeling skills on various software and became an expert in the use of Leapfrog Geo to compile exploration and drilling data, as well as building complex geologic models.
- Under construction
M.S., Geology, LaSalle Beauvais Polytechnic Institute, France - 2009.
B.S., Geology, LaSalle Beauvais Polytechnic Institute, France - 2007.
National Geothermal Academy, University of Reno, modules on Geothermal Exploration and Business Principles, 2007.
2018-present: Senior Geothermal Geoscientist, Dewhurst Group, L.L.C.
2016-2017. Wellsite Geologist/ 3-D Modeler. ISOR Iceland GeoSurvey,
2015. Geologist. Sigra Pty Ltd.
2008-2014. Project Geologist. EGS Inc.
2007. Geologist. BRGM.
Senior Geothermal Geoscientist – Dewhurst Group. LLC., USA and Colombia.
Review of the geoscientific data and project development plans for the 2018 Expressions of Interest for the Geothermal Development Facility fund for Latin America (GDF-LATAM).
Wellsite Geologist/ 3-D Modeler – ISOR Iceland GeoSurvey, Iceland.
- Wellsite geologist at several drilling sites in Iceland (Svartsengi, Hellisheiði, Krafla, Theistareykir) and abroad (Montserrat, BWI).
- Wellsite geologist and member of the scientific team for the Iceland Deep Drilling Project, IDDP-2 in the Reykjanes Geothermal field, Iceland.
- Comprehensive 3-D modeling of Hellisheiði and Nesjavellir Geothermal fields using Leapfrog Geo (Geology, Structure, Temperature, Geophysics).
- Select new drilling target for future development in Nesjavellir Geothermal field.
- Low enthalpy projects wellsite geology and conceptual modeling in Iceland (Hoffell, Laugaland).
Geologist – Sigra Ltd., Australia.
- Analysis of gas content measurement, Gas production data and stress measurement to evaluate future development plans in underground Coal mining in New South Wales.
- R&D project to develop a new method to evaluate gas content while drilling in underground mining.
Project Geologist – EGS, Inc., California, USA.
- Wellsite geologist on several drilling sites in the US and Caribbean, mudlogging, casing point selection, operation summaries, mineralogy, MWD/LWD, clay determination, well testing.
- Geothermal evaluation of Oski Energy prospects in the western United States; geologic, geophysical, geochemical and temperature data review, drilling site selection and drilling follow up, well testing.
- Exploration data review and interpretation for US Navy GPO projects in Nevada and California,
- Geothermal project development consulting for BM Holdings, Turkey, build 3-D geologic model for reservoir engineering study.
- 3D geologic and thermal model development using ArcGIS, Rockworks 15 and Leapfrog Geothermal, for Long Valley Caldera, CA, Cove Fort, UT, The Geysers, Imperial Valley CA, Rye Patch, Blue Mountain, NV.
- Stored Heat Calculation with Monte Carlo Simulation for several projects (US and International),
- Geothermal evaluation of Montserrat, Caribbean, including geological, structural and geophysical studies.
- Complete 3-D well modeling of Bottle Rock field, The Geysers, with temperature, production intervals and well completion for reservoir management.
Geologist – BRGM, France.
- Creation of a database about quarries in France, and water-table piezometric level monitoring.
TEACHING & PUBLICATIONS
- Advanced Geothermal Exploration Techniques, 2017. Iceland School of Energy – Reykjavik University, Iceland.
- Wellsite data acquisition and reporting using Logplot, 2016. United Nations University – Geothermal Training Program, Reykjavik, Iceland.
- GIS and Geological Mapping instructor 2009. LaSalle Beauvais, France.
Poux, B., Gunnarsdóttir, S.H. 2016. 3-D modeling of Hellisheiði Geothermal Field using Leapfrog Geo. Presented at the GEORG Geothermal Workshop, Reykjavik, Iceland, November 25-26, 2016 and at the JFI (Geological Society of Iceland) 2016 Fall meeting, Reykjavik, Iceland, November 15th, 2016.
Brophy, P., Poux, B., Suemnicht, G., Hirtz, P., Ryan, G. 2014. Preliminary Results of Deep Geothermal Drilling and Testing on the Island of Montserrat. Stanford Geothermal Reservoir Engineering Workshop, Stanford, CA, USA.
Brophy, P., Poux, B. 2013. Status of Geothermal Development in the Caribbean Islands. Geothermal Resource Council Meeting 2013, International Session, Las Vegas, USA.
Poux, B., Brophy, P., Suemnicht, G. 2013. Geothermal Exploration in the island of Montserrat, Caribbean. Presented at the Association of American Petroleum Geologist (AAPG) Pacific Section Meeting, SEG & SEPM, Monterey, California, April 19-25, 2013.
Poux, B., Serrano, V., Brophy, P. 2012. Direct Use of Geothermal Water at the Solage Calistoga Resort, Napa County, California. Geothermal Resource Council Transactions 37, 9p.
Poux, B., Brophy, P. 2012. Geothermal Exploration on the island of Montserrat, Caribbean. Geothermal Resource Council Transactions 37, 13p.
Poux, B., Suemnicht, G. 2012. Use of GIS Geoprocessing to select the most favorable sites for Geothermal Exploration in Oregon. Geothermal Resource Council Transactions 37, 8p.
Brophy P., Lippmann M.J., Dobson P.F., Poux B. 2010. The Geysers Geothermal Field, Update 1990-2010. Geothermal Resources Council Special Report No. 20, 248p.
Poux B. 2009. Geothermal prospection methodology: recognition, exploration and characterization of the reservoir, Geologist Master thesis, LaSalle Beauvais Library, n°369, 83p.
Poux B., Kostecki, J. 2007. East Flank sliding of Mount Etna (Sicilia, Italy) and its relation to the N140° faulting zone of Santa Tecla: neotectonics and analogical approaches, Geological thesis, LaSalle Beauvais Library, n°395, 99p.